TEMPLE HILLS, Md. (WJLA) — A Prince George’s County mom who pulled her child out of school because she said mold in the building was making her daughter sick may be onto something. The 7 On Your Side I-Team obtained a document the district accidentally released explaining how mold could possibly have been in the school.
In this age of spreadsheets and word documents it’s easy to see how someone could send the wrong attachment in an email. But in this case that wrong attachment included information the Prince George’s County School District apparently did not want public.
For now, all 8-year-old Kelis Goodwine can do is talk to her friends through a fence.
“It’s really sad because I can’t send her back,” said her mother Linetra Jackson.
For the last two weeks, this second grader has remained at home. Her mother will not allow her back inside Samuel Chase Elementary after the young girl kept getting sick inside the school with headaches, dizziness, and elevated heart rates. Three times she was rushed to the hospital. Doctors said it could be a mold allergy.
“It’s a lot. It’s really a lot,” said a sobbing Jackson. “And they make me feel like I’m doing something wrong. Who would be comfortable with sending their child back there like that?”
Despite pictures Jackson took of water damage, the district has maintained there is no known health hazard. But that may not have been the entire story.
In a letter recently emailed to Jackson by Monica Goldson, the district’s chief of operations, Goldson mistakenly included the unedited version. And whoever corrected the document wanted one entire paragraph taken out. That paragraph explained how the environment for mold to grow was found in the school in January of this year. But it doesn’t say when the problem was fixed.
“I was shocked,” stated Jackson. “Something’s going on. I just don’t know what it is, yet. But I’m not going to stop until we figure out what it is.”
Jackson told ABC 7 her daughter’s doctor will soon write a note medically excusing her from school.
Prince George County Public Schools sent a statement to ABC 7 saying the letter was inadvertently sent. There was no malicious intent. The district has an environmental team who performs routine inspections and recently found no evidence of surface mold in the classroom at Samuel Chase Elementary.
Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/05/md-school-mistakenly-sends-unedited-email-to-mother-concerned-about-mold-in-the-classrooms-114362.html#ixzz3bjTvTPDf