Fiasco after Cell Phone Starts Backpack Fire At PGCPS Potomac High School

WTTG-PRINCE-GEORGE'S-FIRE-POTOMAC-HIGH-SCHOOL_1549990254888_6752166_ver1.0_640_360.jpgFT. WASHINGTON, Md.  — Prince George’s County fire crews responded to Potomac High School in Ft. Washington for a reported backpack on fire Tuesday morning.

Prince George’s County Public school officials say the small fire at Potomac High School in Glassmanor originated in the ninth grade wing.

At around 9:30 a.m., a cell phone, the model not known,  apparently overheated in a student’s backpack which generated heat and smoke.

The school was evacuated and a security officer was transported out of the school for a smoke-related illness.

The backpack was handled quickly and the fire did not extend past the area.

Some students did experience irritation from the residual odor and were evaluated by medics, but not transported.

Students and staff were able to resume classes in other sections of the building.

3e5c94b3-47f4-4977-9afe-ab414f9a016d-large16x9_potomachighschoolvo-01_frame_25201.jpg

Potomac High School in Ft. Washington (past photo)

***

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.